2:13 PM Edit This 2 Comments »
21 things

Alanis Morissette came up with this list in her album, Under Rug Swept. I actually really like it. I’ve never really been very good at coming up with lists about things like what I want in a lover. It was always just cheesy stuff like, ‘cute, good sense of humor, Christian…’ and of course the word lover was never allowed to title my list. But upon listening to this song, and really getting to like it, I think that her list really resonates with me. I compiled it into a number list to make it a little more my organizational style and cut out the repetitious chorus stuff, for any of you who know the song and are tempted to call me out on poor quoting.

So, I choose this too, as well as some of her other sentiments about wanting things in a lover. Enjoy…

21 Things I Want in a Lover—Alanis Morissette

1. Do you derive joy when someone else succeeds?
2. Do you not play dirty when engaged in competition?
3. Do you have a big intellectual capacity, but know that it alone does not equate to wisdom?
4. Do you see everything as an illusion?
5. But enjoy it even though you are not of it?
6. Are you both masculine and feminine?
7. Politically aware?
8. And don't believe in capital punishment?
9. Do you derive joy from diving in and seeing that loving someone can actually feel like freedom?
10. Are you funny?
11. à la self-deprecating?
12. Like adventure?
13. And have many formed opinions?
14. Are you uninhibited in bed?
15. More than three times a week?
16. Up for being experimental?
17. Are you athletic?
18. Are you thriving in a job that helps your brother?
19. Are you not addicted?
20. Are you curious?
21. And communicative?

these are 21 things that I want in a lover
not necessarily needs but qualities that I prefer
I figure I can describe it since I have a choice in the matter
these are 21 things I choose to choose in a lover

I'm in no hurry I could wait forever
I'm in no rush cuz I like being solo
there are no worries and certainly no pressure
in the meantime I'll live like there's no tomorrow

2 comments:

Mike Morabito said...

Courtney, this is cool. I will give my responses to each of Alanis' questions below. Let me know what you think. Maybe I will be lover material someday? ;)


1. Do you derive joy when someone else succeeds?: I am trying to always celebrate other people’s success. To be able to die to myself and allow others to lead or be promoted is probably one of the most important acts of a servant, I feel.
2. Do you not play dirty when engaged in competition? Sometimes, not really. I do like to win though. When I was younger I especially hated losing to my brother, so I might be tempted to cheat.
3. Do you have a big intellectual capacity, but know that it alone does not equate to wisdom? Sometimes I wish that I knew everything but then I remember that I don't have to be the smartest person ever, I just need to love people honestly.
4. Do you see everything as an illusion? Yeah.
5. But enjoy it even though you are not of it? The best times are those when everything unfolds like a drama masterpiece - when I see myself as part of a story bigger than myself.
6. Are you both masculine and feminine? No. I would like to think that I am trying to be a true man who would be strong, soft, and sure. I don't need to act like a woman to care about people. In fact some of the manliest men have been those who were deeply passionate, sensitive and strong. For example William Wallace was a warrior-poet and Jesus wept.
7. Politically aware? Yeah, a little too aware, I think. Why am I getting a poli. sci. degree again?...I’m not sure.
8. And don't believe in capital punishment? Yeah, I am against capital punishment. If I believed in capital punishment then some of my favorite characters from the bible would be dead (Including David and probably Paul).
9. Do you derive joy from diving in and seeing that loving someone can actually feel like freedom?: Hmm.. This is a crazy concept (that committing to love can set you free) but I know that paradoxically it is true for all relationships - the obligation to love is what sets you free but I also enjoy coming home to silence and solitude. Maybe I haven't felt this joy that you speak of.
10. Are you funny?: Yes. I am also messy.
11. à la self-deprecating?: Yeah it makes people more relaxed when someone can laugh at themselves.
12. Like adventure?: Yeah. Life is a journey, enjoy the ride. (Next adventure: Scrabble Night)
13. And have many formed opinions? Yeah. (See views on gender)
14. Are you uninhibited in bed? Yeah, I sleep there. But more seriously it's kinda a random concept that I get to share a bed with someone some day. Can you imagine waking up next to somebody for the rest of your life?
15. More than three times a week? Yeah, definitely more than 3 times a week once I have a lover, (let’s remember I am Italian). And I am really honest.
16. Up for being experimental? As my bible teacher told us once, "anything goes" between the sheets of the marriage bed. haha
17. Are you athletic? Yeah and competitive too. (See man hour)
18. Are you thriving in a job that helps your brother? Yeah, I work with my brother (he is crazy). But do I work to help my fellow man? Umm...I feel like that is my utmost intention, to help others who can't help themselves through my vocation.
19. Are you not addicted? Oh you got me. I have a big cup of coffee everyday. Do you forgive me?
20. Are you curious? Yeah, even from a very young age I have always been curious. Exploration is one of my core values.
21. And communicative? Yeah, I communicate but sometimes I just don’t do it well.

Courtney, I agree with you being single is great. And it has been awesome getting to know you recently. This is a great time in our life where we can meet tons of people without having to marry them. Haha. Sure, it makes things interesting when every body else is getting married around us, but that is ok because we have been called to something more than merely marriage.

While having a full time companion of the opposite sex may be great someday, there is more to our lives then just finding another person. Furthermore if we follow our callings then there will be someone else going down the same path who will share our passion with what we are passionate about, which should make for an easy marriage. :)

-Mike Morabito

Courtney said...

Congratulations Mike, you pass with an A+. As a matter of fact you may be over qualified. Just let me know when you want to make it official. ;)

- Court