A couple of poems for the good readers of my blog

6:30 AM Edit This 4 Comments »
Poetry, it's what's for breakfast. Bon Appetit.

Abandonment Is Guilt Free Here

You should have left
Without saying goodbye
Goodbye
Said like that
Means something
It means that the part between
That and hello
Meant something
Hello
Something Meaningful
Goodbye
Like that
But you are going
And I am pretending
Nothing means anything
But you want to say goodbye
Like that
So how can I go on
Pretending
When we both know the truth
And it is a shame
When a person feels guilt
That the space between
Has meaning


This Town

This town hasn’t got it anymore
Whatever a town’s got to have
To make me want it
This town just hasn’t got it anymore

I used to be in love here
I used to think that’s what the lights were for
I thought this was where we might dance
But it turns out this town hasn’t got it anymore

Not sure if it’s anyone’s fault
Or if it happens to all towns
Maybe just the ones I’ve lived in
Whatever the case may be
This towns one that hasn’t got it anymore

The buildings stopped glowing at the edges
For-sale signs aren’t romantic
I feel like a stranger again
Walking fast downtown
This town never let me do that
But now it does
So I guess it hasn’t got it anymore

Maybe there will be other towns
Even cities
Maybe there will be other dreams
Even love
There’s only one way to find out
I’ve gotta leave the town that hasn’t got it anymore.

4 comments:

AJ Harbison said...

Heck yes for the road trip! ;) Way to leave the town in a big way.

I don't really have time right now to read these poems in depth and get from them all they have to offer, but I enjoyed them in a cursory way. I love the way you threw in the phrase "the space between" in the first one. And I think the second one would make a great song.

AJ
<><

AJ Harbison said...

P.S. Only the scissors of Stev know the answer!!!

AJ
<><

Mike Morabito said...

Courtney, great poems. Thanks for sharing, you're beautiful.

Abandonment: I love how you have captured moment of the Goodbye. Very cool. I hope guilt won't get you down as Goodbye can bring new hellos.

This Town: I love it. This is town is no longer big enough for us. We've set our course for the beyond and destiny is our path.

Beautiful...[and the poems are nice too.]

-Mike

Anonymous said...

i love your poems. and the first i can relate with alot.