New GoogleMaps Feature Blows My Mind

11:58 AM Edit This 3 Comments »
... Like I'm picking up pieces of my brain off my desk as I type this.

Okay that's gross, but this is very cool. For us very visual direction takers, GoogleMaps has made it even easier for us to know where we're going with a visual play-by-play.

Maybe this is old news to some of you major gGeeks out there (Mike Morabito), but I just noticed it today while I was working. I was trying to figure out one of the locations that I ship to, and I pulled up a map from Brea to there, and saw all these little cameras on the directions. I clicked on one, and was amazed to find a little flash photo of the move with arrows showing how to make the move. You can even click on the arrows to see what happens next!



ooh.
aah.
wow.
Amazing.


Probably even cooler if you have an iPhone.

Damn, those applemongers got me again!

Happy Mapping!

--Court

3 comments:

Mike Morabito said...

Hahaha, lol! "applemongers"?

Mike Morabito said...

Yeah, google maps streetview is crazy! There are big issues with privacy coming up about it and it definitely worth a Foucaultian dicussion on the surveillance society. But it is freaking cool, google's goal is to have a picture of every street that they have on their maps.

Here are the cars that they use to take the photos:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/eye-on-you/google-streetview-camera-car-fleet-set-to-invade-america-279222.php


There are a number of really funny things which have been captured on google street view by people using it and they have been distributed by people virally on the internet. Some of them are below.

Here is google streetview capturing the aftermath of a car crash:
http://jalopnik.com/339821/google-street-view-captures-car-accident

Here it is capturing a fight:
http://googlesightseeing.com/2007/06/16/street-fight/

Here it is capturing a kid falling off his bike:
http://kensingtonvictoria.com/blog/2008/04/22/dude-crashes-bike-on-google-street-view-pics/

AJ Harbison said...

That's totally crazy. I was actually made aware of Google Street View a few days ago when Doug demonstrated it to me at work. Insane. Foucault for sure.

AJ
<><
The Listening Blog