The world is in chaos and my life is fruitless... now is the time for art, no?

10:51 PM Edit This 1 Comment »

So, yeah, it's been a while.


Someone told me once that as artists we don't create when we're happy, because we're busy being happy. I suppose lately I have been busy being happy. I'm not unhappy now. But I'm not busy with the happy stuff, either. Just busy. With the busy stuff.


So, soon there will be art. Because I need it. I need to be alive again. I need to be human again. I need to create again. Sorry it's not about you. I mean I'd love for you to have it, feel it, let it make you a little more alive somehow. But I'm telling you it's coming because I need it.

1 comment:

AJ Harbison said...

Speaking from my own experience, my own art medium (i.e. music) is the most abstract of human art forms, so I feel like most of the time it comes not directly from my contemporaneous experience, but just from the sum of all my experiences. Except in the case of my pop music "songs," which often (but certainly not always) draw inspiration from real-life events.

Your post did remind me of a few musical quotes I have on file, however. Here they be:

“Although the relationship between an artist’s psychological state and the creative process should not be exaggerated, the contemplation of mortality must concentrate the mind.” - Ronald Smith (i.e., you shouldn't always connect the creative process to the emotional state of the artist at the time of creation)

But on the other hand:

“My music is the product of my talent and my misery. And that which I have written in my greatest distress is what the world seems to like best.” - Franz Schubert

And finally:

"The most despairing songs are the loveliest of all. I know immortal ones composed only of tears.” - Alfred de Musset

AJ
<><
The Listening Blog