12:03 AM Edit This 0 Comments »
A Hero Deferred...

Happy Thanksgiving, friends.

Today, I thought I would share the gift of life by donating blood to the American Red Cross, as is my every so oftenly tradition. I have it to spare and I can save 3 lives, so if you know I'm a superhero this all makes sense.

So I roll down to my local donor center this noonish and sign in and do the tests and get my under the tongue and around the arm and out the finger and gently on the wrist and the list of bizarre and nearly perverse questions... finally we review the questionarre and I am ready to start gushing blood into the bag.

Then the nice lady gets to the part about having been out of the country within the last 12 months, and I'm like yea, I went to Costa Rica, what's the big D? And she starts asking me parts that I went to, and apparently a couple of them are high malaria risk locations, which is a bust because they told us there was almost no risk there. The even bigger bust is that I am now "deferred" (not allowed to donate blood) until July! This officially sucks, no?

So, what I need to ask of all of you, is to carry the torch for me. I will have missed approximately 5 donation cycles before I am able to give in July... and these are like guaranteed life helping/saving opportunities! If even just 5 of you could support me in my innability by donating blood between now and July, (or even every couple months between now and then) I would really appreciate it. If you haven't done it before, it is a relatively painless and incredibly rewarding experience. The people are kind and you always get snacks and juice when you are done. You're helping people, straight up, plain and simple, handing over some life juice.

Please take this opportunity and check the American Red Cross website for local donation sites and drive dates.

Much love, and thank you for your support. It means more to me than you may expect.

Courtney

No comments: