12:38 AM Edit This 4 Comments »
A prayer that I found in this cool book that I am reading:

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.

A prayer of Thomas Merton, taken from Thoughts in Solitude, quoted in My Life with the Saints by James Martin, SJ.

The desire of my heart, the heart of my fearlessness, the foundation of my trust: God, let Truth, Beauty, Love--your character-- be all of these to me.

4 comments:

AJ Harbison said...

A poem I wrote a few years ago, on the same topic. It's called "next step."

AJ
<><

I know You said You know the plans You have for me.
Could You perhaps, please,
just maybe, reveal just a little bit of them to me?
I know I walk by faith and not by sight.
But do You think that You could maybe
perhaps, just open my eyes, make me less blind, shed a little light?
I know I'm meant to walk in the dark and put one foot in front of the other.
Do You think You could illumine just
one
more

step?

Mike Morabito said...

Courtney, I love the honesty of this prayer. So good.

Thanks Courtney.

-Mike

Mike Morabito said...

AJ's poem is pretty cool too. I love how it uses the word 'illumine'. Awesome.

bellevoce said...

Courtney,

I love when God uses random instances or people to speak to you; so thank you.

Perhaps we shall be able to meet sometime as I've heard so much about you and read many of your comments on others' blogs.

God Bless,
Marge/Elisabeth

p.s. AJ, I enjoy your poem as well. You should post it on your blog.